Friday, May 20, 2011

Sluggish Blog Posting

I have not been very bloggy lately. We've had lots of company, so some evenings I've been sociable and played games, and some evenings I have just buried myself in a book!  Either way, I haven't been on the computer.  Or if I have, I have been trolling through Facebook or other people's blogs, slack-jawed and half asleep!

This boy NEVER sleeps.  He can sure scrunch up his eyes, though.

Working up to a whistle.

A real whistle!  He's learned to whistle this past month, and he whistles constantly.  Sometimes I wonder if he would asphyxiate if he couldn't whistle.  He whistles as he runs up and down stairs, he whistles while he plays with cars, he whistles while he reads books.  I think he'll be impersonating birds before long.

While Grandma Marilyn was here, Cheyenne decided to make her a salad.  

She chopped all the vegetables herself.  Then she decided to cut up lemons to make lemonade for Daddy and Grandpa.  THAT did not go so well.  She sliced her left middle finger-- but at least she didn't sever two tendons and an artery like Aunt Lindsey just did to her left middle finger!

Marilyn and Dana left Friday after supper, and Mom, Olivia and Tori came a few hours later!  It didn't take long for Olivia to take my camera out to photograph our crabapple tree.

These photos are amazing when you enlarge them.  Quite the photographer!

Raindrops on blossoms...

Because raindrops are ALWAYS here!  


I love the rain dripping off last year's crabapple.

I usually try to take a family picture in front of the tree every year, but it poured steadily from the time the blossoms opened until they were gone.

But at least Olivia came...

And took Bokeh-Beautiful pictures!

Rilla doesn't mind the rain at all!  She trots out her raincoat and rubber boots and goes out in all weather.

Our little lilac is growing up!

Despite the fact that it poured the whole time they were here, it was awesome having some Vaughan females here. We went to JoAnn Fabrics Saturday morning, and I made four skirts that afternoon and evening.  I made ones for Rilla and Lily, and also some for Olivia and Tori.  They weren't a howling success-- you really do need a pattern once you get past the kid stage, but I had fun sewing.  It's gotten me all ambitious in the sewing department, we'll see how long that lasts!  For now, I'm stashing my sewing machine under the arm of the sofa, so it isn't inaccessible in Lincoln's closet while he's napping.  Maybe I'll actually get a couple things made!  If nothing else, I need to take in a bunch of Marilla's skirts, since she's a little hipless wonder like her sister.

Yesterday, I made a month's supply of spaghetti sauce.  Around noon, I noticed it wasn't as hot as it should be, so I cranked it up to high for a few hours.  Then I turned it back to low...  and continued about my day.  I did notice the clean metal pot that was sitting beside the Crock-Pot wasn't that hot when I went to put it away... but I still continued in blissful ignorance of the fact that I had been too dumb to plug the Crock-Pot in!  It wasn't until 5:00 in the afternoon that I finally realized it!

So, when I came down to breakfast this morning, Evan had helpfully left a little diagram to help me figure out supper tonight!  The end of the world everyone is twittering about might actually happen if Evan doesn't get his weekly spaghetti meal!

Right around the time I realized that my planned supper was a no-go, Evan called to say he wouldn't be home until seven.  Except for Wednesday nights, he hasn't been home before seven for two weeks now.  I looked around at my four hungry, fussy children-- and decided to wimp out.  I bundled them all in the van, and we drove to the Golden Arches for supper.  Not being a masochist, I didn't take them in.  We got our chicken nuggets in the drive-thru, then I pulled over and climbed in the back seat with the kids.  It works pretty nicely when they're all strapped in.  I may start bringing their carseats in for supper.  Then, we drove an extra four miles to the BIG (in comparison) library, and hung out there for close to an hour.  After checking out 44 books (for once, I'm not exaggerating!), we came home to a house with zero supper dishes-- and Daddy!

And now, I think it's time to get a novel and curl up on the couch.  Maybe I can even convince Evan to move himself out of the La-Z-Boy chair over to the sofa to sit beside me.  See what a hard life we lead?

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

That sounds like a delightful evening! Will have to check out the sauce recipe. And sewing 4 skirts in an afternoon? WOWZA!! :)

Lisa said...

I love those first pics of Elliott, he is really growing up! And good to hear you are into sewing lately, isn't it fun? ;)

Becky Gonce said...

you and me both... not so good at blogging.. but like to read others... and books.. I think I'll head up and read on in the new Nora Roberts.. The Search...

Cecil and Amy said...

Ha! I had the crock pot problem once too with worker company! We went out to eat also! I love Evan's helpful drawing. Husbands sure do like to encourage us, don't they?! :-)

Bethaney said...

The girls loved their skirts! I will have to post the picture of Orianna's outfit all laid out! s